(703) 379-2475 - Office, (703) 244-6746 - Cell
4201 S. 31st Street, #110, Arlington, Virginia 22206
Photography Website: www.BainbridgeNewsPhotos.com

Air Force Tennis Coach Battles Back After Strokes

Compliments of: By Amber Baillie

Each day Air Force Lt. Col. Dan Oosterhous is reminded to keep fighting when he glances at the bright green wristband he sports on his right arm that reads: “Tough times don’t last, tough people do.”

Click photo for screen-resolution image
Air Force Lt. Col. Dan Oosterhous, an active-duty tennis coach at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., recovers in Memorial Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit March 24, 2013, with his children, Emma, left, and Andrew and Anna, right, following his second stroke. U.S. Air Force courtesy photo

(Click photo for screen-resolution image);high-resolution image available.

Oosterhous, the men’s tennis coach here and the only active-duty head coach at the academy, wears the gift from his father everywhere he goes to keep a positive attitude amidst the constant discomfort and uncertainty he continues to experience after experiencing two strokes this past spring.

“It’s not something you wake up from and are better,” Oosterhous said. “It doesn’t go away. I have to believe I’m going to get better or else I won’t. Instead of worrying about why this happened, I have to push forward.”

A 1993 academy graduate and coach here for the past four years, Oosterhous, 42, was active and healthy until the evening of Feb. 28. Feeling like a 20-year-old again after competing in a match against his Falcon tennis players, Oosterhous said he went to bed that night and woke up feeling dizzy, began vomiting, and felt an intense pain in his neck.

“It took me three tries just to get to the bathroom because I kept falling down,” Oosterhous said. “I tried to sleep it off but that wasn’t the right thing to do. I needed medical attention right then.”

As his symptoms lingered, Oosterhous said his wife drove him to the emergency room where medics informed that he was having a stroke.

“I knew something was definitely wrong, but I had no idea it was a stroke,” Oosterhous said. “That wasn’t the first thing that came to mind. I’m young, healthy and I just didn’t think stroke.”

Tests revealed the stroke was triggered by a dissection of an artery. Oosterhous was put on a blood thinner, and for the next two weeks he doubled up on physical and occupational therapy to regain strength through the right side of his body. Little did he know he would relive the horrific ordeal a week later on March 21.

“I woke up with the same headache and same pain except it was on the left side this time,” Oosterhous said. “I couldn’t believe it was happening all over again.”

Oosterhous went to the hospital, where his symptoms progressed during the next 20 hours. He was unable to move his fingers or feel the left side of his body.

“Every minute something was fading away and it was frustrating because I knew from my previous experience how long it was going to take to get things back,” Oosterhous said.

“Medics gave me a clot-busting drug but there was nothing they could do to stop the stroke,” he said. “’It just had to evolve,’ was how they put it.”

Oosterhous had difficulty breathing, speaking and swallowing throughout the night.

“The upper part of the brain was working fine,” Oosterhous said. “The signals that tell my muscles to move couldn’t get through my brain stem because a tiny channel was blocking them. Since I’m unable to get the signal to my muscles, my brain has to learn through repetition and effort.”

Oosterhous remained in the hospital for four weeks and was unable to drive for two months. Family members, co-workers and players from his team showed their support by visiting him and reading his online blog.

“Journaling has been therapeutic,” Oosterhous said. “My journals have grown into longer, more thoughtful, deeper experiences of learning. I’ve learned how I operate, how I ‘tick,’ how I go about my daily life and what is important to me. I’ve been able to spend more time with my three kids this summer than the past four summers I’ve been here.”

Throughout the recovery process, Oosterhous said he’s consistently set goals to stay motivated. Two goals he accomplished included coaching his team here during the Mountain West Conference in April and commissioning two seniors from the team during graduation in May.

“In February I had promised them I would do their commissioning,” Oosterhous said. “After my stroke I wasn’t sure if that was still possible. I decided to keep that as one of my goals to be able to get out of the hospital, be able to walk onto the stage and do the oath of office with them. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be but I was so glad I could do it. I was in my uniform for the first time again and it was the neatest thing I’ve done in my 20-year Air Force career.”

Oosterhous said he’s been able to apply lessons he learned here as a cadet to surviving two strokes.

“I’ve learned why we do certain things at the academy, such as play sports,” Oosterhous said. “It’s because they teach bigger life lessons. When you get sick and your life is completely changed — How do you deal with that? Being able to have the positive attitude and work ethic to get through this has been nice because I know that if I can handle this, I can handle anything.”

Oosterhous is on narcotics and a strong blood thinner to alleviate the pain and prevent him from stroking again — although another one could occur at any point.

“Doctors don’t want to operate because it would be very risky,” Oosterhous said. “Pilot training was the hardest year of my life, my four years at the academy were very difficult, but this is something that is going to be with me for my entire life.”

He told his players that they can choose their attitudes throughout life.

“You can’t choose what happens to you,” Oosterhous said. “Hard work doesn’t guarantee that you’ll win a match or that you’re going to be the best on the team but if you have a good attitude, good things will happen.”

Oosterhous is walking short distances without a cane. He is swimming. He even took on wheelchair tennis during a clinic in May.

“I still have a long way to go in my recovery and it will take years to get back anywhere close to my pre-stroke levels but I only know how to keep fighting,” he said.

Oosterhous participated in adaptive sports camps this week through the Air Force Wounded Warrior program where he was able to interact with other active-duty members who also became ill or were wounded in combat.

“The goal is for participants to realize they can be active again,” Oosterhous said. “The subset of that goal is to pick people for the Warrior Games.”

Oosterhous plans to begin coaching the men’s tennis team again later this month.

“The cadets motivate me and I think this is the best place in the world to work,” Oosterhous said. “I’m around athletics which is a huge part of recovery. The four-year process of bringing kids out of high school and graduating them as officers is really neat to me. My tennis coach here was my biggest role model and that’s what I hope I can do for these cadets.”

Oosterhous said he will be ready for his players.

“I want to work and this is the work I love,” he said.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)


About Edited by Susan Bainbridge

At age 6, Susan was destined to be a journalist and photographer.  In 1980, Susan founded Bainbridge News and The Bainbridge Chronicle Newspaper. Bainbridge News specializes in Military and National Politics, including Military Funerals and Burials and Political Funerals and Burials.  Susan has covered the White House, the Pentagon and Capitol Hill. She has covered every president from Ronald Reagan to Barack Obama. Recognized for her versatility, Susan has also covered finance, crime, civil rights events, marches, sports, musical events and more. In 1990, she established Bainbridge Photography, an On-Location photography company. In addition to military and political events, including Military and Political funerals and burials, Bainbridge Photography expanded into covering ALL funerals and burials, receptions, weddings, real estate, inventory, insurance, portrait, head shot, pets, fire and Hazmat.  Miss Bainbridge believes in going the extra mile. "My Clients always come first." In 1980, Susan began her career in Washington, D.C., working for WMZQ Radio as a reporter and guest hostess from 1980 to 1985. Intrigued by radio, Susan wanted to write, freelancing for radio, television and print newspapers, including AP, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, The Northern Virginia Sun, The Press-Republican and The Bainbridge Chronicle (established by Susan Bainbridge). In 1986, Susan worked at WDCA-TV Channel 20 as a guest hostess for "Eye On Washington." From 1990 to 1994, Susan reported and anchored for "The Arlington Weekly News." Additionally, she produced a segment for the G. Gordon Liddy Radio Show. A prolific writer, while in high school in 1977, Bainbridge wrote an episode for NBC's "Little House on The Prairie" entitled "Laura's Best Friend." Though the show's producers did not use the script then, NBC producers encouraged Susan to pursue a writing and journalism career. Susan is a member of the National Press Club, the National Press Photographer's Association and the Society of Professional Journalists. Susan Bainbridge's recognitions include from former Presidents Ronald Reagan, George Herbert Walker Bush and Bill Clinton, former First Lady Nancy Reagan, former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, the late actor Lorne Greene, among many others. BAINBRIDGE NEWS was founded in 1980 by Susan Bainbridge (a sixth generation writer), a third generation journalist, a first generation photographer and a fourth generation entrepreneur. She is the first generation to establish a news business. Bainbridge News is dedicated in honor of Miss Bainbridge's late grandfather and idol, Mark S. Watson (The Baltimore Sun editor and war correspondent from 1920 to his death in 1966).

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.

Wordpress webhosting and development by 2by2host.com